Friday, September 23, 2011

There's Nothing Like Homemade Bread

Through My Brown Eyes 365-Day 10
Well, now that Fall is here, it is time to bring out the good ol' bread machine. There's nothing like a fresh loaf of homemade bread. I love the smell of it as it's baking and anticipate how yummy it's going to taste when it's done.

I have had this old machine since way back when bread machines were new and all the rage. Did you get one then, too, and do you still have the same one or have you updated yours, unlike me? I am in the market for a new one that bakes loaves that actually LOOK like a loaf of bread, not the kind that make tall, square loaves and create HUGE square sandwiches. I am on a diet here....well, not a 'real' diet but just trying to eat a bit less and I don't want a huge sandwich. So if anyone has a bread machine that makes regular-looking loaves, please pass along the info to me. I'd appreciate it!

Yesterday I baked this loaf of Parsley Herb Bread and it turned out really yummy! I got it from an old bread machine cookbook by Donna Rathmell German, one of several I bought way back when I first got my bread machine. It's a pretty simple recipe so I thought I'd share it with you in case you'd like to give it a try. The book gives 3 different sizes and I made the medium size loaf so those are the measurements I will share with you. The machine should be set on the basic cycle with medium browning. Add the ingredients in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer, bake and enjoy!

Parsley Herb Bread
1 1/2 tsp yeast
3 cups bread flour
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp chives (I used 1 tbsp fresh from my garden)
2 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
1 cup water

Only 355 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you visit, please leave a comment as the best thing you can do for a blogger is to leave some love. Thank you!