Friday, June 16, 2017

Hello again, three years later!!

Okay, I seriously can't believe I haven't posted here in almost 3 years! Whoa! Guess I've been busy, huh? It's amazing how quickly time flies and so much has happened since my last post that I couldn't even begin to mention it all. So I'll just jump right ahead and say this, I am thinking of giving myself another challenge but haven't quite figured out what I want to do yet. Any ideas?

A photo a day? An art piece a day or more like a week? Ha ha! Not so sure I could do a daily art piece but I sure could do a photo a day project because I take photos every day. So that's an easy challenge I would say.

Hmmm......will have to give it a bit more thought and when I've come to a decision, I'll surely let you know. I'm open for suggestions so feel free to throw them my way. In the meantime, here's a couple pieces of artwork I created recently. I hope you enjoy them and that they inspire you to be creative as well!
I started out with a piece of junk mail that I added gesso to. Yes, I love using junk mail for my art! I hate to throw anything away if it can be reused for something and junk mail is perfect for art! I used many different colors of Tim Holtz distress crayons on the background of this piece, did a bit of mark making and splashes of white paint then added the green netting, which was from a bunch of avocados (I love to use them in my art, too) then put it aside for weeks because I didn't know what else to do with it at the time. 

I brought it back out when I found this cute mermaid image online. I thought it would work perfectly as I wanted to make the piece look kind of beachy. I also found the perfect quote for it on Pinterest - Keep Calm & pretend you're at the Beach. It may be hard to see that in the photo so if you click on it you should be able to see it better. Happy with how it turned out!

This piece is on an 8 x 10 canvas purchased at Walmart. A pack of 3 of them is like $4.00 so you just can't beat the price! I was trying to do my piece similar to one by a Canadian artist who I absolutely love and support through Patreon - Catherine Cote. I love her artwork!! She is such a great artist and I have learned so much from her these past couple years.

Well now, mine is nowhere near as nice as hers but I'm happy with it! I used some Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays and my Kuretake watercolors on the background first then created the flowers on top also with the watercolor paints. I tried to use some gold flecks here & there but they didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped. I think I need more practice with them. I then added some black dots and called it done for now until I find a nice quote to add to it.
This art journal page was created for the Mission Inspiration challenge for June. Mike Deakin is the creator of this challenge if you'd like to check it out. He's also a wonderful artist as you will see if you visit his website. I haven't participated in his challenges in awhile so it was fun to jump back in again.

Thanks for stopping in today! I hope you have enjoyed what I shared. Perhaps I will post more of my artwork here on a regular basis, if I remember that is! If you're ever in need of fabulous scrapbooking/cardmaking/papercrafting products and inspiration, head on over to my other blog at scrampingwithcarol.blogspot.com.

Have a wonderful, artsy day!

~Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you visit, please leave a comment as the best thing you can do for a blogger is to leave some love. Thank you!